Monday, June 23, 2008

Writing Process

The purpose of this blog is to share interesting ideas I have found in recent American professional publications dealing with the teaching of English at all levels, elementary, secondary and college.

Topic: Writing Process

Title: “Diana Gabaldon ‘Worms’ Her Way to Success.” Jessica P. Morrell. The Writer (July 2008), 18-21. The Writer is a magazine by writers for writers. Its goal is to keep the writer’s spirits up.

Quote: In recounting her methods of writing, Dian Gabaldon uses the phrase, “…in the back of my mind.”

Comment: Ms. Gabaldon is referring to how she works on her writing while she goes about the rest of the business of her life. She is working on her writing in the back of her mind. Many writers have told how they compose mentally before they ever put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. If you haven’t cultivated this process of working on your writing while you perform your daily chores, you need to practice it. Whenever I encounter a problem in my writing, no matter what I am doing, that problem is not far from my consciousness. I have even solved writing problems while half-listening to sermons in church. Ouch! RayS.

No comments:

Post a Comment