Friday, August 29, 2008

Topic: Spelling

10-Second Review: Method for helping students analyze why they misspell certain words consistently.

Title: “Teaching Challenged Spellers in High School English Classrooms.” Rebecca Bowers Sipe. English Journal (Marcy 2008), 38-44. A publication of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).

Summary. Students complete the following:
1. Misspelled word from my writing: "mispelled"
2. Correct spelling: "misspelled."
3. Description of the error and why I think made it: "Didn’t clearly pronounce both syllables."
4. Strategy to remember the spelling: pronounce both syllables completely-- "mis spell."

Comment: A good way to individualize and maximize spelling instruction. Student’s misspelled word, identifying the cause of the error and finding a strategy to remember it. I like it. I can use the technique myself on words that I habitually misspell. RayS.

The purpose of this blog is to share interesting ideas I have found in recent American professional publications dealing with the teaching of English at all levels, elementary, secondary and college.

No comments:

Post a Comment