Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Topic: Parent-Teacher Relations

Ten-Second Review: Sends home memo with students at the beginning of the school year asking the parents to introduce their child to the teacher via e-mail or regular letter.

Title: “More Than Just an English Student.” Michael T. Vokoun. English Journal (March 2008), 101-103. A publication of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).

Quote: Here’s the memo.

I am excited about all we, as a new family, can learn about each other. In order for me to get a better idea about your child, I am going to need your help.

Could you please write me via e-mail and introduce your child to me? You may include any information that you think will help me to “get to know” him or her better. If you know the best way your child learns, let me know. If you want me to know anything about your family as well, feel free to share.

If you are e-mail challenged, please write or type a letter that you can send in with your child, and please then explain the best way to contact you about your child.

Comment: Sounds like a good idea. I’m worried that some parents might think the teacher is being nosy. I might change the language in the memo. I can bet that some students will not give it to their parents, worried that the teacher will learn something that won’t be favorable to the child. I might hold off to “back-to-school” night to introduce the idea, so that I can explain it and clarify my intentions. Still, I think the idea is a good one. I might add something about having the parent write it with the child. RayS.

The purpose of this blog is to share interesting ideas I have found in recent American professional publications dealing with the teaching of English at all levels, elementary, secondary and college.

No comments:

Post a Comment