Thursday, October 15, 2009

Topic: Acting Out Shakespeare

10-second review: “Acting out the play allowed me to understand the whole play better.” “After I acted out a scene from Romeo and Juliet, I understood it more. I actually felt the story.” Orubba Alamansour, Grade 11.


Title: Developing an Ear for Shakespeare.” Arubba Alamansour, Grade 11. “Acting Shakespeare.” Aram S. Bolian. Grade 9. English Journal (September 2009), 35-36. The secondary school publication of the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).


Quote: Aram Balian, Grade 9: “By performing Shakespeare’s words with emotion and gestures, I began to appreciate the message he was trying to get across. I understood the intricate plot. I discovered the rich nuances of the phrases and began to feel true affection for the characters. Through my performance, I recognized Shakespeare’s masterful use of subtle ironies and sarcastic remarks.”


Comment: Again, the philosophy of the Folger Shakespeare Library is that acting out scenes is the best way for students to appreciate the language of Shakespeare. RayS.

No comments:

Post a Comment