Thursday, October 28, 2010

Topic: A View of African-American Boys



10-second review: An author who writes about African-American Boys (You Don’t Even Know Me: Stories and Poems about Boys 2010) tells how she views them.

Quote:  Sharon G. Flake: “So often we think we know young men, especially African American males. ‘They don’t read,’ we say. ‘They misbehave,’ we whisper. ‘They drop out early and cause society a host of ills.’ Often, before they even show up to class or walk into a store, we think we know who they are and what they are capable of doing and becoming. As an author, I get to say, ‘Open your eyes and see what is often unseen by so many of us, regardless of our ethnicity.’ When I open my eyes and see you for who you truly are, I see myself differently, and I allow you to see me more fully as well. It becomes a win-win for everyone, I think.”

Title: “Interview with Sharon G. Flake” by Najat Omer. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy (October 2010), 152-153.

No comments:

Post a Comment